Saturday, July 16, 2011

Jesus Saves and You Can Too!

“Jesus Christ.” 

That’s me thinking out loud when I look at my December credit card statement.  Jesus got off easy, only having to pay for our sins.  I’m not even Christian, yet I’m damned to pay for his birthday every year. 

Well, maybe not.  The actual date of Jesus’ birth is never stated directly in the bible and there is plenty of evidence in the gospels to imply that most likely it isn’t December 25th at all. 

What a great find!
So, how does this affect me?  By choosing to celebrate Christmas on a more biblically accurate date, say January 2nd, I can get some heavy discounts.  For example, a live Christmas tree bought in the first two weeks of December will cost anywhere from $50 to $100.  A Christmas tree bought from the curb or sidewalk on December 26th, will cost anywhere from $0 to $0.  This translates to over $4 to $8 a month.  What a simple, yet elegant way to help pay the mortgage! 

For those of you that need more than a $100 annual savings, I have another round of cost cutting.  Your average Christmas tree ornament costs around $15.  Just the thought of that makes me sick to my stomach.  Your average Christmas tree ornament on December 26th, however, costs around $5.  That’s still a little more than I’d like to pay, but I know those discounted Star Wars ornaments aren’t lasting for a second round of clearance.  The biggest savings, of course, are on glass ornament balls.  Every year after the 25th, they’re practically given away, so I try my hardest to load up on as many balls as I can handle.  I especially like the big ones.  

When I can build my Ewok tree village I'll be
living the dream.  Live the dream.


“Balls.”

That’s me thinking out loud again. 

Balls aside, the mother lode of savings is on gifts. When it comes to buying presents, I try hard not to spoil the recipient.  Still, I find that my annual Christmas gift shopping usually comes in at an astounding $100.  My solution is to wait for stores to put their unsold merchandise on clearance.  This works the same way as buying ornaments, but I like to haggle down the prices for returned or damaged box items. 

In order to give these presents to friends and family, I usually need to make up an excuse for why they’re late and somewhat damaged.  “Jesus wasn’t born on December 25th” isn’t good enough for everyone.  Make sure you remove the clearance stickers, or the recipient will know you’re lying.  You could end up losing a friend, and that means one less gift to buy next Christmas.   

Actually, don’t remove the clearance stickers.

No comments:

Post a Comment