Friday, August 5, 2011

Health Series: Myths that Break the Bank – Gum Disease

Typical dentist propaganda.  Image from http://periotherapy.com/
I chose to address this second myth because it saves me unnecessary trips to the dentist.  Any dentist will tell you that dark red gums are unhealthy and if left untreated, you will end up with periodontal disease, and eventually lose your teeth.  As you could expect, dentists perpetuate this myth because the more you worry about your mouth, the more you give them in co-pays and insurance.  The truth is the actually the exact opposite.  Your gums are at their reddest when there is a a healthy blood flow to the roots of your teeth.  This can easily be mistaken for a disease because at times, there is so much blood flow that the gums become swollen and will bleed at the lightest touch.  If you wait for a day a two however, the swelling will go down as the gums begin to harden in a process similar to the formation of calluses.  Ever since I first read the truth about gums, I've been going to the dentist far less frequently.  It's been almost four years since my last visit and as far as I can tell, I still have all my teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment